Thursday, August 19, 2010

Big Tahoma Emmons Glacier 7/17-7/19 2010
















Big Tahoma or Mt. Rainier is the largest and best known mountain in the Cascade range. Climbers come from around the world and spend thousands of dollars on guide services, gear and travel expenses for a chance to stand on it's lofty summit. For those who make it to the top it is an experience that they will never forget.

Success on Mt. Rainier requires three important elements. Training, conditioning and luck.

Training may mean taking a climbing course through an outdoor club such as I did this year with OSAT, hiring a guide service for a crash course on glacier travel and leading you to the top, or just by years of climbing mountains and learning from experienced friends. If your party lacks training and experience Mt. Rainier is a very dangerous mountain to climb.

It should go without saying that you need to be in great physical condition to climb Mt. Rainier but I will say it anyway. You need to be in great shape to climb Mt. Rainier! I won't attempt to explain exactly how good of shape you need to get into or how to do it as there are entire books written on this subject. But I will say that lack of proper conditioning is one of the top reasons why people fail to make the summit.

Good luck.You will need it! You will need good weather to make it to the top safely and even during the best months of the year the weather can turn ugly and stop climbers in their tracks. Storms hit the upper parts of the mountain hard creating white outs where it is impossible to see more than five feet in front of you, driving snow and hail, and winds that will literally knock you over.
This was one of the most enjoyable climbs I have ever been on. Climbing with a great group of friends, agreeable weather and a fun route. I let go of my fears and anxiety and accepted that I had prepared myself and my gear as best I could and that success now depended on gods will and not mine. Also I believe having already summited before made it easier to focus on the experience and not be as concerned with the result. Not to say that the trip was without difficulties, just that I had a sense of serenity in dealing with them.








































No comments:

Post a Comment